Thisisnorthscotland co ukdating
This was the site of a royal castle from the 1100s but remained a small village until 1791 when it began a century of dramatic growth with the building of woollen mills along the river valley.
The woollen industry which was once so important to the Scottish Borders has declined. Lochcarron of Scotland relocated to Selkirk from Galashiels in 2006, and Andrew Elliot Ltd's Factory and Mill Shop is another excellent example of a working mill. Attractions along this little used road include the James Hogg Monument overlooking St Mary's Loch, and Tibbie Shiel's Inn.
Also close to the border south of Yetholm is the hamlet of Hownam.
Two miles east of Duns is Manderston, the epitome of the Edwardian country house, while a little further east again is the Norman Edrom Arch.
Seven miles south of Duns is its long term rival for the title of county town of Berwickshire, Greenlaw.
The town is best known for giving its name to a regiment of the British Army, the Coldstream Guards, formed in 1650.
Coldstream lies just half the width of the River Tweed away from England and has had an eventful history as a result.